Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Happy Michael Young Day! (On Saturday)

I think we all remember this day, don't we?  It's the last time Michael Young put on his Rangers jersey:


Sorry...I think I need a minute...

MIKE!!!  Please come back!

That's when MY said this:

My time in Texas is 13 of the best years of my life...It was my honor to be able to play for them [the fans] on a daily basis.  I owe this community everything.

Okay...maybe I need more than one minute...

PLEEEAAASEE!!!
Okay...I think I've pulled myself together now....deep breath...deep breath...

Well, 3.5 months after that fateful January day, the Texas Rangers are finally going to honor the ultimate captain, Mr. Michael Brian Young in a pre-game ceremony.  Saturday's game against the Blue Jays at RBiA (I am still refusing this 'Globe Life' nonsense) will start at 7:15.  And the The Michael Young Show will begin around 6:45 PM.  I've seen The Michael Young Show a few times and I guarantee you won't be disappointed if you watch.  It features a career batting average of .300, gold glove play at shortstop, 2,375 career hits, 7 All-Star appearances, an All-Star MVP, and a little something called a BATTING TITLE.

M-V-P!  M-V-P!  M-V-P!
Michael Young is the best that Texas Rangers history has to offer.  I don't mean the best nice guy. I don't mean the best of the most recent history.  I mean Michael Young has surpassed all other Rangers in the historical power rankings.  Yes, I'm including Nolan Ryan.  And yes, I'm including Pudge (gasp!).  So what makes him so special?  And no, it's not just that MY is the Rangers' ALL-TIME hits leader...

MY's muttering "Hey Jon, you're still an a-hole"
...although that helps.

Michael Young was a constant on this team and as a fan favorite for 13 years of mostly revolving door-madness.  We said so long to a bunch of guys, some of whom were named Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, and Alfonso Soriano, during Young's tenure as a Texas Ranger.  And all of those guys were supposed to be the face of this franchise at some point.  But after all of those jerks left, only one champ remained standing:  your captain, Michael Young.

I can remember that during the team's rise in 2010, everyone was clamoring for the Rangers to "do it for Michael Young".  That doesn't happen for "okay" players or momentary heroes.

And damn they got oh so close...two years in a row...

Ahhh...memories...
Damn...why did I do that...


Sorry guys.  My bad...I'll get it together, I swear.

The funny thing is, that even when reliving that sad 2011 World Series loss, Michael Young was STILL a bad ass.  During his retirement press conference, he said:

I know there were no rings, but that was a championship team.  They were a great team, but we were better. Flat out.  I can say that now that I'm retired.

It's hard to be a bad ass while retiring, but he managed to do that.  And if being an awesome ballplayer, damn nice guy, and all-around bad ass aren't enough for you, I give you this...a short summary of some of MY's career walk-up music:

California Love - 2Pac, Dr. Dre
Nuthin But A G Thang - Dr. Dre
Roc Boys - Jay Z
So What'cha Want - Beastie Boys
Sabotage - Beastie Boys
Heart of the City - Jay Z

In a world of David Murphys and Josh Hamiltons, Michael Young has got to win some sort of prize for this, right?  RIGHT?  

(Oh and that ^ is not commentary on their playing skills.  It's commentary on their walk-up music...just TERRIBLE.)

So be there Saturday night.  I will be.  At the very least watch the ceremony on TV.  Because I can't imagine the Texas Rangers having another player that means as much as Michael Young does to this franchise anytime soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment